BRIEF HISTORY OF WOODLAWN
Woodlawn School is located on a four-acre site in the western section of Hopewell. It was built in 1917, and additions were constructed in 1937, 1938 and 1953. The building contains twenty-six classrooms, a library, an auditorium, and a cafeteria. There are three mobile classrooms.
Woodlawn has housed grades two through five as a Hopewell Elementary School. On September 9, 1977, Woodlawn lost ten classrooms, two bathrooms, and two offices in a fire. On September 14, 1977, Woodlawn went on a split shift schedule at Dupont School (12:30- 4:30 p.m.). On December 1, 1977, the staff and students of grades two through four returned to Woodlawn. Grade five was relocated to Carter G. Woodson School.
Beginning with the 1982-83 school year, the Hopewell schools were reorganized so Woodlawn would house grades two through four, and Harry E. James would house kindergarten and first grade. Grade five was again sent to Carter G. Woodson. During 1992, a new school was constructed on Arlington Road to replace Harry E. James and Woodlawn. Renovations took place in the summer of 1993 on the Woodlawn building;therefore adopting a new name: Woodlawn Learning Center. It housed Head Start, Even Start, Title 1, Special Education, and Adult Education. Beginning the 1995-96 school year, the Virginia Preschool Initiative Program and the Alternative Education Program were added to the Woodlawn family.
At the present time, Woodlawn Learning Center continues to house a variety of these family programs
"Under One Roof"
Woodlawn Learning Center 1100 Dinwiddie Avenue Hopewell, Virginia 23860
Phone (804) 541-6414 Fax (804) 458- 2064 Office Hours: 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Early Release: 11:00 a.m.
Mrs. Belinda Piercy- Building Principal/ Director of Virginia Pre-School Initiative
Ms. Patricia Lobo- Head Start Director
Mrs. Joyce P. Jones- Alternative Education/ Adult Education Coordinator.