Substitute Teacher Hiring Procedures
Applications are now being accepted.
To be considered for a position as a substitute teacher, you must follow these instructions (instructions are repeated in the substitute teacher application packet):
- Applications must be originals and completely filled in, signed and dated.
- Resumes may be attached for additional information only.
- You must have a minimum of a GED with some college credit to be a substitute teacher. All others will be considered as a substitute teacher assistant.
- Three references are required. They should be from non-family members and, preferably, from previous supervisors (if you have them).
- The three references must be completed and submitted by the persons giving a reference.
- For references, you may use our form OR recent, original, signed and dated letters from the persons giving a reference.
- Do not fax or email the completed application or reference forms.
- A copy of recent TB test results (less than 12 months old), and an official college transcript OR a copy of your high school diploma must be submitted.
- Once all requested documents are received (application, references, TB test. profile, official transcript or copy of a diploma), you will be contacted to attend an orientation and training.
- All candidates eligible to substitute are required to attend an orientation and training.
- If you do not hold a current Virginia Department of Education issued Teaching License, a learning appraisal must be successfully completed before appointment by the School Board.
- Your actual social security card, and another legally-acceptable form of identification, will be required to be processed as an employee.